The group that eventually formed Gabriola Players gave its first performance on August 6, 2004 at the Phoenix Theatre. The play was Vagina Monologues, and was under the direction of Dandelion. The success of that production encouraged the individuals to seek corporate status.
In October 2007, six individuals who had been involved since the initial production filed an application under the BC Societies Act and were granted formal registration as the Gabriola Players Theatre Society, The official number is S-0052793.
The society is commonly known as Gabriola Players (GP). The stated purpose of the society is to:
• Provide opportunities for members of the community to participate in live theatre productions that enrich, educate and entertain; and
• Encourage theatre as a recreational activity
In January 2013, Gabriola Players further sought designation under the Canada Revenue Act as a Registered Charity. This registration was granted on April 13, 2013, with the registration number 83520 3753 RR0001.
Board members for the 2016/17 season are:
- President – Lawrence Spero
- Treasurer – Dennis Johnston
- Secretary – Dave Innell
- Co-Artistic Directors – Jean Wyenberg, Ginny Lowes
- Advertising/Inventory – BJ Godson
- Communications – Marshall Mangan
- Membership – Leslie Hazeldine
- Arts Council Liaison/Technical – Charlie Cheffins