Don Whitton Memorial Bursary
Awarded for the first time in 2010, the Gabriola Players Theatre Society is now inviting applications from individuals who meet the criteria to apply for the Don Whitton Memorial Bursary. This grant will be awarded to a resident of Gabriola Island who is registered at a recognized Canadian college or university and/or an accredited training or instruction course where the prime focus is Theatre Arts and who has demonstrated a talent for and academic capacity to complete a course of studies in this field.
This bursary is based primarily on the information included with the support documentation (as outlined in Part 2) and may include selection criteria such as extracurricular involvement, leadership, acting or stage experience or other associated Theatre activities. It is intended to supplement, not replace, a student’s primary sources of funding. The award will be granted by the Gabriola Players Board of Directors, after considering the information provided by individual applicants.
Interested applicants, must be at least fifteen (15) years of age at the time of application and should acquaint themselves with the rules for this bursary and complete the application form provided and submit it by July 31st 2017. The award recipient will be notified by the President.
THE DON WHITTON MEMORIAL BURSARY AWARDED BY GABRIOLA PLAYERS
What is this Award?
Don Whitton was a member of Gabriola Players from its inception. He appeared in numerous productions before he passed away in 2010, and was the guiding spirit behind our improvisation workshops. In his memory, Gabriola Players awards financial support to people from Gabriola Island who are participating in instructional programs directed toward theatre arts, whether as an actor (professional or amateur), director, stage manager or in any of the technical skills such as lighting, sound and set design. The award may or may not be presented in any given year, depending on whether or not there are applicants who meet the qualifying criteria.
Who is Eligible?
- Residents of Gabriola Island.
- Applicants who will be at least fifteen (15) years of age by the end of the year in which the bursary is being awarded.
- In the year of application, students must be registered in an accredited program, in which theatre arts are the prime focus, at a recognized educational institute, or participating in a recognized course of instruction in theatre arts or furthering their chosen discipline at a recognized performing arts school in Canada.
- Previous bursary winners are not ordinarily eligible.
- All bursaries will be announced by the end of August and awarded in September.
How to Apply?
Submit a completed application form by the bursary deadline: July 31st 2017.
Please see below for additional support documentation that should accompany the application. Application forms can be requested by email: email@example.com
All support documentation must be submitted on plain size paper, typewritten or computer-printed, double-line spaced.
The following must be submitted together with a signed copy of the completed application form.
- Description of the proposed course of study.
- Proof of admission to the proposed course of study.
- Personal statement, addressing the following question:
What are your reasons for pursuing this particular course?
- A list of your participation in performances, festivals, competitions and other performing arts activities, as well as any awards received (indicating date, activity, and reviews, if any).
- A confidential letter of reference from at least one individual with some theatrical expertise who is acquainted with the applicant’s artistic experience and/or achievement. Each applicant may submit a maximum of two references. No reference can be an immediate relative of the applicant.
- Applicants intending to pursue a course of study in management, administration, technical aspects of production or design within the performing arts industry should submit proof of any previous experience of projects in which you’ve been involved.
- All submitted material will be retained by Gabriola Players.
- Incomplete application forms without supporting documents will not be considered.
When completed send all documents to:
Gabriola Players Theatre Society
PO Box 374 Gabriola, BC V0R 1X0
ATTENTION: Don Whitton Memorial Bursary
Don Whitton Memorial Bursary