The Gabriola Players Don Whitton Memorial Bursary is awarded to a resident of Gabriola Island who is registered at a recognized Canadian college or university and/or an accredited training or instruction course where the prime focus is Theatre Arts and who has demonstrated a talent for and academic capacity to complete a course of studies in this field.
The awarding of the Bursary is based primarily on the information included in the supporting documentation (see below) and may include selection criteria such as extracurricular involvement, leadership, acting or stage experience or other associated Theatre activities. It is intended to supplement, not replace, a student’s primary sources of funding. The award will be granted by the Gabriola Players Board of Directors, after considering the information provided by individual applicants.
Interested applicants must be at least ten years of age at the time of application. There is no upper age limit for applicants. Scanned, signed copies copies of the application form and supporting documentation should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 31st. Applications can also be submitted by post, but must be received before the deadline. The award recipient will be notified by the President.
History of the Bursary
Don Whitton was a member of Gabriola Players from its inception. He appeared in numerous productions before he passed away in 2010, and was the guiding spirit behind our improvisation workshops. In his memory, Gabriola Players awards financial support to people from Gabriola Island who are participating in instructional programs directed toward theatre arts, whether as an actor (professional or amateur), director, stage manager or in any of the technical skills such as lighting, sound and set design. The award may or may not be presented in any given year, depending on whether or not there are applicants who meet the qualifying criteria.
Who is eligible?
– Residents of Gabriola Island.
– Applicants who will be at least ten years of age by the end of the year in which the bursary is being awarded. (There is no upper age limit.)
– Students who are registered in an accredited program, in which theatre arts are the prime focus, at a recognized educational institute, or participating in a recognized course of instruction in theatre arts or furthering their chosen discipline at a recognized performing arts school in Canada.
The bursary will be awarded at the Gabriola Players annual general meeting in September.
How to apply
Download and complete Don Whitton Memorial Bursary Application.
Submit the completed application form and supporting documents (see below) by email or by post to be received prior to application deadline of August 31st.
Applications and references must be signed.
The following must be submitted together with a signed copy of the completed application form.
1. Description of the proposed course of study.
2. Proof of admission to the proposed course of study.
3. Personal statement addressing the following question:
What are your reasons for pursuing this particular course?
4. A confidential letter of reference from at least one individual with theatrical expertise who is acquainted with the applicant’s artistic experience and/or achievement. Each applicant may submit a maximum of two references. No reference can be an immediate relative of the applicant. All references must be signed and must provide contact information. (Scanned copies may be sent as part of an electronic application.)
5. A list of your participation in performances, festivals, competitions and other performing arts activities, as well as any awards received (indicating date, activity, and reviews, if any).
6. Applicants intending to pursue a course of study in management, administration, technical aspects of production or design within the performing arts industry should submit proof of any previous experience of projects in which you’ve been involved.
All submitted material will be retained by Gabriola Players.
Incomplete application forms without supporting documents will not be considered.
When completed, email scanned documents and application to email@example.com with the subject “Don Whitton Bursary” or submit print copies by post :
Gabriola Players – Don Whitton Bursary
PO Box 374, Gabriola, BC V0R 1X0
To download application form, click here.